Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 3, 2013

OWH sketch 162; Mercy House Kenya

Hello there and happy Sunday!

This post is long. Sorry about that! Please keep reading; it's worth it, I promise. First up, I'm linking up with the ladies at FLAP. This is what I wore today, but not something I would likely wear to Mass. Sorry, next week I will be cuter, with better hair and makeup and not in a t-shirt. I didn't go to Mass today (sick! boo!).

Here is me today:
Mercy House heart & wings v-neck
Here's something I made today. This is Operation Write Home sketch 162:
My Mind's Eye Honey Cake
Ali edwards sentiments
Gina K card stock; tim Holtz walnut ink

And here is the story behind the "love Mercy" shirt I am wearing. Not too many months ago, I followed a link from someone's blog to a new-to-me blog, We are THAT Family. I was browsing around and saw that they had founded the Mercy House, so I started reading.

Wow... 

a Kenyan-based maternity home that rescues pregnant girls who are often homeless. These girls are SO young. At Mercy, they have a family, hope, education, support for their pregnancy and motherhood. And they begin to learn that they are valuable, talented young women.

So when Kristen offered bloggers a chance to review one of the new shirts and a bag, I jumped at it. For even one more person to read this and support Mercy House with a purchase, or prayers - or both - is so worth it.

Go learn more. And this bag?

So awesome. It's thick and so much more sturdy than the other reusable bags I have, most of which are beginning to tear. I can't wait to give it a trip to Target and the grocery store! Plus I love that the back side is patterned as well. I am going to order a couple more for myself. They have some really unique things in the shop, and it's a great way to support Mercy.

Mercy House will provide one of my commenters with a free tote bag! Comment to win; I'll chose a winner next Sunday. Be sure to leave your email address or come back on Sunday to see if you won.

Thanks for visiting me today! 

Jen

16 comments:

  1. Very nice Mom's Day cards. Each one as sweet as the other. You always do such a nice job with all of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards!!! Thanks for sharing the story on the t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two fabulous mothers day cards, and great cause befitting the same day we make cards for. How sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards Jen. Love the colors and patterns you chose and the matting. It really adds depth and texture to the papers. I also like the larger sentiment with two rounded corners.

    How sweet of you to bring this worthwhile cause to the attention of your readers. And how appropriate to be paired with you Mother's Day = Mom cards. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen,

    Love the patterns and colors you chose for your cards.

    And, thanks for the information about Mercy House. I'd not heard about it before and it's always nice to hear about folks doing such good work. It's really fabulous that you are supporting its work in such a public way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cards - papers and simpleness make them perfect for Mom's Day

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cards you made, especially the sentiment! And your cause is so appropriate for Mother's Day coming around. It takes a lot of courage, support and prayers to help these girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better soon, and what an awesome cause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute cards, I love the simplicity and the obvious love coming from them! Hope you get well quickly, get back to what drives you! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen. Thanks for the info on Mercy house. I will check it out. I like to do a lot of my Charity donations during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I would comment anyway! What a charming shirt, and what a meaningful message behind it. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen -- two great cards. Nice choice in DP. I really like both sentiments but the first one is my favorite. Thanks for sharing your story about Mercy House. Hoping you are feeling well soon.

    Sharon S.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the layering of all the pieces... it just makes the whole card "pop"! Excellent rendition of Sketch #162...

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous cards!!! I love all the layers! And Mercy House sounds like a GREAT place for teen mothers! Good for you for supporting them!!!
    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, off to look for the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!